Tuesday, October 19, 2010

My New Obsession

Some of you know...some may not. I have a new obsession. Some may call it a hobby. Others, a good deed. But really. It's an obsession. And I'm okay with that. Her name is Ashley (sorry sis...). And she's a good 900 pounds. Dark skinned. And if I could bring her home with me, I would (sorry honey).


The first time I met her, she was offstandish. Ignored me and the boys. Wouldn't come when she was called. But, she would be a good horse to learn on (or so I was told). A dream of mine is to own a ranch of sorts. With lots of land to let all of the animals I love to roam freely. Horses. Lots of horses. And dogs. The beauty of it all is that they all can live in the barn. Outside of my home. But that's another blog post in itself.
Anyway, the boys and I started going out to the stables to learn the ropes with Ashley. She has been a school-horse her whole life. The stables she resides at now adopted her from a not-so-great situation. After learning her story, I better understood her character. She truly just needed attention. And love. And that, we could give her. We immediately started spoiling her with carrots and apples and lots of grooming. From there, I've been getting lessons in the round-pin and arena, not only in the saddle, but on the ground as well. I've been learning so much. And so has she.
Now when we come out to see her, she comes right up to the fence to greet us. She listens to me and my commands and adores the boys. She's such a good horse. I swear, a truck could drive right up to her and she wouldn't spook. Trey loves putting his hand in her nostrils and walking under her belly. His head grazes the bottom of it and he laughs...both boys like riding her. Although Drake says "woah" a lot, which confuses her. But it's so fun. It's become part of our routine. The barn owner keeps telling us how much healthier and happier Ashley has become since we've started coming out there. And that...that makes me happy =)

No comments:

Post a Comment